*All links to products in the post below are affiliate links. This means I make a commission for purchases made through these links.
Hyaluronic acid is a fascinating ingredient, especially for dry skin. It’s one of the most powerful humectants out there. Humectants are a group of ingredients that are able to take moisture from the atmosphere and add it to the skin.
Hyaluronic acid is the strongest humectant out there, and it’s able to attract and retain a staggering amount of water. For anyone with dry skin, hyaluronic acid is a must-have ingredient (it’s also great for other skin types too!) But, what are the best hyaluronic acid products, and how can you incorporate it into your skincare routine?
Before we get started: How does hyaluronic acid benefit the skin?
Hyaluronic acid is a tried and true ingredient that provides multiple skin benefits:
- It’s a gentle ingredient: Don’t let the word “acid” throw you off. Hyaluronic acid is incredibly calming and gentle, even for sensitive, rosacea-prone and eczema-prone skin.
- It replenishes the skin’s moisture: Hyaluronic acid is a powerful humectant, which means it’s able to draw moisture from the atmosphere right into your skin! And, it’s super effective at retaining that moisture too. One molecule of hyaluronic acid can hold 500 to 1,000 times its weight in water, making it one of the best humectants out there. So, it leaves dry, dull looking skin soft, smooth and glowing.
- It leads to plump, youthful looking skin: As it does hold moisture in the epidermis so well, it effectively plumps out the skin. This plumping effect can help to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- It has antioxidant properties: Antioxidants prevent free radical damage, which can lead to wrinkles and other visible signs of aging. The fact that hyaluronic acid has antioxidant properties is just another reason why it’s such a good anti-aging ingredient.
- It revitalizes the skin: Hyaluronic acid is able to revitalize the outer layers of your skin. This not only makes your skin look and feel softer, but it also improves its overall texture.
As you can see hyaluronic acid is a multi-faceted ingredient.
And, while its moisturizing properties make it a must-have for dry skin, it’s also suited to normal, combination, and oily skin. For anyone looking to add moisture to the epidermis, reduce the appearance of wrinkles or smooth their skin, hyaluronic acid is a great ingredient.
Best Hyaluronic Acid Products: Product Recommendations
Okay, so now you know just how beneficial this ingredient is to your skin, you’re probably wondering what the best hyaluronic acid products are.
Handily enough, this powerhouse ingredient is included in tons of different products, from masks to night creams.
Below are some of the best hyaluronic acid products that you should consider adding to your skincare routine.
You’ll find products for all skin types, whether your skin type is oily, combination, normal or dry.
- Best for: Dry to very dry skin.
The Cetaphil Rich Hydrating Night Cream with Hyaluronic is one of the best hyaluronic acid products out there, offering a great mix of quality, efficacy and value.
It has a truly wonderful texture. It’s rich, but not greasy, and moisturizing, yet not too heavy.
It’s formulated with hyaluronic acid, and plenty of other skin-boosting ingredients designed to soften the skin and increase your skin’s moisture content, like:
- Glycerin: A powerful humectant that draws moisture from the atmosphere and adds it to your skin.
- Cetearyl alcohol: An emollient that softens and smooths the skin.
- Olive oil: An excellent ingredient for locking moisture into the epidermis.
In this well-rounded formulation, you’ll also find:
- Vitamin C: An antioxidant that promotes the production of collagen. It leaves skin supple and youthful looking.
- Vitamin E: Another powerful antioxidant that keeps your skin safe from free radical damage – this prevents the formation of fine lines and wrinkles.
The inclusion of those ingredients alongside such an effective ingredient like hyaluronic acid, makes this night cream from Cetaphil truly one of the best.
- Best for: Normal to dry skin
If you have dry skin, and you’re looking for a gentle cleanser that won’t leave your skin feeling tight and uncomfortable, then I’d highly recommend the CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser.
It has such a beautiful, creamy texture that feels just wonderful on dry skin. It gently cleanses the skin, and doesn’t dry it out. In fact, it feels almost like a lotion!
It contains hyaluronic acid, which draws moisture into the skin. But, that’s not all. You’ll also find skin-replenishing ceramides in this cleanser. Plus it’s fragrance free!
While, generally speaking, cleansers don’t stay on the skin long enough for ingredients to deliver their full benefits, every little helps when you have dry skin.
For anyone with normal to dry skin that’s also sensitive, this is a must-have cleanser.
It doesn’t really lather – so it’s not ideal for oily skin types.
- Best for: All skin types
The Simple Revitalizing Eye Roll-On is a simply wonderful hyaluronic acid product. I’m not really one for eye creams – I feel most of them are just your regular moisturizer in smaller, more expensive packaging.
But, this product is excellent. It isn’t necessarily an eye cream.
Essentially it’s a tube filled with a lightweight moisturizing liquid, which is almost gel-like in texture. And, it has a metal roller-ball applicator.
This applicator feels incredibly cooling and refreshing on the under eye area. Plus it gently massages the area. This can really help to reduce puffiness – it definitely wakes tired looking, puffy eyes up in the morning!
The product’s formulation is also wonderful.
It contains sodium hyaluronate. This is the salt form of hyaluronic acid. Sodium hyaluronate offers the same benefits as hyaluronic acid, except it has a smaller molecular weight, meaning it can more easily penetrate the pores. Read more about the differences between the two here.
Plus, it also contains other skin-boosting ingredients, like:
- Cucumber Extract: This is a good source of antioxidants, making it a good anti-aging ingredient.
- Glycerin: This is an effective humectant, meaning it draws moisture into your skin.
- Vitamin B5: This is also a humectant, so, again, it’s great for boosting your skin’s moisture content. But, that’s not all. Vitamin B5, also known as panthenol, is a powerful antioxidant, making it a good anti-aging ingredient.
- Alfalfa Extract: This is another excellent antioxidant.
Overall, it’s a super gentle product, with a great formulation. It’s definitely suited to all skin types – even sensitive skin.
- Best for: All skin types
Whether your skin is oily, combination, normal, or dry, you could benefit from using the First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Hydrating Serum in your skincare routine. It has a lightweight gel texture. This means that if you have oily skin and you’re looking to add hyaluronic acid to your skincare routine, then this is really good option for you.
This fragrance-free serum includes skin boosting hyaluronic acid, plus plenty of other excellent ingredients, such as:
- Colloidal oatmeal: A powerful anti-inflammatory ingredient that’s just wonderful for calming sensitive skin. If you have eczema, this is such a great ingredient, as it’s a skin protectant too.
- Licorice root: This is a potent anti-irritant, making it an excellent ingredient for sensitive skin types. It’s excellent for reducing redness, and it can improve the appearance of an uneven skin tone.
- Panthenol: Also known as vitamin B5, panthenol is powerful antioxidant, making it a great anti-aging ingredient. It also offers a plethora of other skin benefits that you can read about here.
Its well-rounded formula definitely makes it one of the best hyaluronic acid serums. Overall, this is a reasonably priced moisturizer with a lot to offer skin.
- Best for: Normal to slightly dry or slightly oily skin
The CeraVe AM Facial Moisturizing Lotion is a lightweight daily moisturizer that’s formulated with hyaluronic acid. What’s great about it is the fact that it contains SPF 30. This keeps your skin protected from the sun’s harmful rays, which can cause wrinkles, fine lines and hyperpigmentation.
But, strong sun protection and hyaluronic acid isn’t all that this lotion has to offer. It’s also loaded with tons of skin-replenishing ingredients, like:
- Niacinamide: Also known as vitamin B3, niacinamide is a powerful antioxidant with a number of skin benefits. It helps to maintain a strong moisture barrier, so it’s effective at preventing moisture loss. It also improves the appearance of fine lines, uneven skin tone, dullness and enlarged pores.
- Cetearyl alcohol: This is a fatty alcohol that’s a powerful emollient.
- Glycerin: A powerful humectant, glycerin is able to draw moisture from the atmosphere into your skin.
- Ceramides: Ceramides are waxy fat molecules that occur naturally in the outer layers of your skin. They are vital for helping skin to retain moisture. But, that’s not all. Ceramides also regulate skin cells, and repair the skin’s natural barrier.
Overall, this lightweight lotion is an excellent daily moisturizer with hyaluronic acid.
- Best for: Dry skin
The Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Hyaluronic Cloud Cream is a beautifully formulated product that feels just wonderful on the skin.
It has a gel-cream texture, which feels very light on the skin, yet highly moisturizing at the same time.
This cream contains sodium hyaluronate, again the salt form of hyaluronic acid. It has a smaller molecular weight, so it’s able to penetrate the skin a little easier, but it offers the same benefits.
In this wonderful formulation, you’ll also find plenty of other ingredients that replenish, hydrate and protect the skin, like:
- Glycerin: Like hyaluronic acid, glycerin is a humectant. So, it’s really effective at increasing your skin’s moisture content.
- Dimethicone: This is an occlusive ingredient, which means it’s able to prevent moisture from escaping from the epidermis.
- Vitamin E: A powerful antioxidant, vitamin E is an excellent anti-aging ingredient.
- Ceramides: Ceramides offer multiple skin benefits, such as helping it to retain moisture and repairing it.
It offers a great all-around formulation, and a simply wonderful cloud-like texture that makes it a joy to apply.
- Best for: Dry Skin
If you’re looking for a good hyaluronic acid mask, then the Dermalogica Skin Hydrating Masque is a product that you should definitely check out. This contains the salt form of hyaluronic acid, sodium hyaluronate.
What’s great about this fragrance free mask is that it includes so many antioxidants, like:
- Algae extract.
- Vitamin E.
- Epilobium angustifolium extract (willow herb extract or fireweed).
Antioxidants are excellent at preventing fine lines and wrinkles, which makes them essential for anti-aging!
Plus, it contains tons of gentle ingredients. This makes it simply wonderful for sensitive skin types too.
Aside from the plethora of antioxidants, in this formulation you’ll also find a selection of hydrating ingredients, like:
- Glycerin: As mentioned above, this is a humectant that adds moisture to your skin.
- Soybean oil: This is an emollient that softens and smooths the skin.
- Squalane: This is an excellent emollient, which is also a good source of fatty acids and antioxidants.
Along with offering an excellent mix of ingredients, this mask is also a joy to apply. It’s has a lotion-like consistency and an almost silky soft texture. It glides over the skin beautifully, without feeling overly heavy or greasy.
8. La Roche-Posay Redermic C Anti-Wrinkle Firming Moisturizing Filler for Normal to Combination Skin
- Best for: Normal to combination skin
If you’re looking for a product that improves the appearance of fine lines, while improving your skin overall, then you should definitely check out the La Roche-Posay Redermic C Anti-Wrinkle Firming Moisturizing Filler.
It’s one of the best hyaluronic acid products out there, which offers visible results. It temporarily fills and smooths fine lines and wrinkles.
And, while it is best suited to normal and combination skin types, it’s a good product for all skin types.
It contains hyaluronic acid, which, as mentioned above, offers so many skin benefits.
Aside from being able to fill lines and wrinkles and the fact that it contains hyaluronic acid, this cream also offers a number of other skin-boosting ingredients, like vitamin C.
This product does contain fragrance. But, as its one of the last ingredients listed, it’s likely that there’s only a small amount of it in this product. If you have sensitive skin, then keep this in mind.
- Best for: Dry skin
This well-formulated lotion from Clinique is a great all-round moisturizer. It contains sodium hyaluronate. As mentioned above, this is the salt form of hyaluronic acid.
But, this is just one of the skin-boosting ingredients this moisturizer contains. In the Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion+, you’ll also find:
- Lanolin alcohol: Despite the fact that it has alcohol in the name, this is a really good ingredient for people with dry skin. It’s a fatty alcohol that acts as an emollient on the skin – it’s gentle too.
- Petrolatum: This is a really rich emollient, and it’s really gentle too. It soothes, smooths, and softens the epidermis. So, it’s a wonderful ingredient for dry and sensitive skin types.
- Sesame oil: This is an emollient plant oil that’s excellent for replenishing the skin’s moisture.
Overall, it’s a really soothing lotion that’s able to moisturize the skin effectively, without feeling heavy.
How to use the Best Hyaluronic Acid Products in your Skincare Routine
As you can see, hyaluronic acid is included in a wide variety of products, from cleansers to serums. How you choose to incorporate it into your skincare routine is really a matter of personal preference.
Hyaluronic acid certainly doesn’t need to be in every single product that you use.
As long at least one to two of the products in your skincare routine include it, and you do your skincare routine regularly, then you’ll still reap the benefits of this wonderful ingredient.
For example, hyaluronic acid is included in my cleanser, and night cream. But it doesn’t appear in my day moisturizer, my exfoliator, or the Neutrogena Anti-Wrinkle Night Cream with retinol, which I use once to twice per week in place of my regular hyaluronic acid night cream.